We’re really impressed by the redesign of Billboard’s print magazine this week. Here are some of the big changes we’re most excited about:
- New focus on Backbeat: Now in the front-of-book, Backbeat is larger and incorporates news on events and gear, in addition to the week’s top industry photos.
- Takeaways: Each story in the new “Topline” news section (which also encompasses Executive Turntable) concludes with a one-sentence summary.
- More opportunities for execs: Both the “My Day” and “Questions Answered” Q&As debuted in this week’s issue featuring industry executives.
- Expanded reviews: Apps and live shows are now reviewed alongside albums and singles.
- More robust charts: the Hot 100 and Billboard 200 charts doubled in page-space, and now include historical stats, photos, and artist Q&As.
- Emphasis on infographics: most notably in the backpage Coda feature, which details the week’s biggest Hot 100 airplay movers.
- A new iPad app: builds off of the print mag with interactive photos, videos, and music via Spotify.
Editorial Director Bill Werde wrote that the relaunch aims to enable readers to “learn something that will help your business every issue.” Now we’re looking forward to the the .com redesign this Saturday.